Monday 27 July 2015

Feminism and Philosophy

Feminism and Philosophy


Only 25% of philosophy posts are occupied by women in UK Universities.



Why could this be?

Well philosophy is not seen as a subject that is "female friendly", but make no bones about this, it has been seen this way since the Ancient Greeks. You know, the ones who believed that only "bitches" barked in public.The very foundation of this discipline is based around a certain way of thinking, speaking and acting that embodied "maleness". Do check out the Mary Beard lecture (funny, smart and informative.)

Myself, I was put off philosophy but the students I knew studying the subject (one of the classic combo of my University was writing and philosophy). Again they were all male. There had all kinds of beliefs and backgrounds but they were all greasy and very smug.When our writing lecturer was found to have no background in writing at all, she bribed them all to turn up to her class with beer and cigarettes. It sickened me to my stomach, because it worked.

Of my own free will because I wanted to know I went and researched philosophy as an adult. Again it wasn't that I didn't understand the concepts, or the metaphors. It didn't bother me the the entirety of Western "thought" was that of men, with some very odd ideas of "normal". Or that the few female philosophers I knew of were edited out of the history completely.
It was it's detachment from the world I suppose. Don't get me wrong some of the French guys were pretty wild! Yet as a pursuit it was detached from the physical, from form, from the land and the body.
It was bloodless.

This detachment is seen as "perfect" or desirable, and yet this, this I believe above all else is why philosophy has the biggest problem with women. The dispassionate, disembodied was the ideal state, because philosophy was about the mind, the consciousness.
"I think therefore I am."
It subjugates the physical. It subjugates and makes one kind of thinking and being preferred over another.
In this way it excludes. In this way it makes women (and men of feeling and form) divorce part of themselves to be included in the arguments. Persisting the kinds of arguments that are likely to happen. Creating an environment of competitive, repetitive ideas, ideals and blinkers.
Of course this divorce of awareness, consciousness and physical form is quite alien to most people.
For me it boils down to this.
"I am, therefore I think." or more clearly to me, "I am and I am aware, echoing that I am."

Philosophy has a problem with women. It is not one that is easily fixed. It is not one that academically will be transformed until philosophy wakes up to the totality of existence, awareness and new possibilities. Of course teaching about more female thinkers, aiming classes at both/all/mixed genders would get some much needed fresh eyes into the mix.

Bright Blessings xxx

Go and buy my book! The Key Opening the Doorway to Magickal Practice NOW!
Or visit the shop Lucy Drake & Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment