Monday 6 July 2015

Misty eyed views of the Past.

Misty eyed views of the Past.

I have a book about the Mabinogion by a reasonably reputable pagan author. Yet as I try to read this book (it is a bathroom book) I find myself reading just a little and then finding my eye twitching.
I find there to be a lot of opinion dressed as fact, and worse than that (I really I no expert) there are glaring white washes about this "Welsh" mystical text.
The author seems completely unclear, either through ignorance or cultural embarrassment as to why these stories in these valuable books were "forgotten", until they were re-discovered by a plucky English woman (like the author?) in the 19th century.
The books they speak of such as The Red Book of Herges and the White book of Rhydderch were stories, treasures from a time of Celtic, or Celtoid culture was once wide spread over much of what we now think of as Scotland, England and Wales.
Wales, did not forget or lose these stories (down the back of the sofa?) they were stolen. They were removed deliberately, just as the Welsh language was harangued, harassed, butchered and stolen. Like our lands were pushed back, our Royal lines all but wiped from existence. From Anglo-Saxons, to Norman Kings, "The Welsh" were pushed, occupied, bullied, set to other parts of the Empire for fighting for food an basic rights, if not just hung.
Our words, our myths and stories about our Sovereignty (over our lands) and place within it was a powerful weapon, one best not left in Welsh hands.
While some of the tales do take place in and around Wales and it's glorious mystical and very real landscapes, these stories also speak of a time when we ruled much of the Isle of the Mighty.
Rhiannon did not happen to lose her child, it was stolen, by some monstrous force.
The wells that were occupied to stop people drinking from them in the village I went to school, were English soldiers. The older remembered of the community when I was in school still remembered it. You could out of spite or maybe religious solace) such a sponge of Vinegar. My school was on Vinegar Hill.
Now I get that these texts are mythical full of deep, soulful meaning. Amazing themes, archetypes and so on. Tales that are in their own way nurturing and healing.
I understand there draw. I understand how they might shape someone's path.
Yet viewed out of context you miss not only there importance to the larger world but to a groups of people. Ones that are still subject to a huge amount of racism, ignorance and hatred.

I don't know if I especially have a point.

Bright Blessings xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment