Tuesday 22 December 2015

Yule ~ Family Traditions

Yule ~ Family Traditions


Yule for us as a family usually starts on the 21st of December, and lasts for 12 to 14 days. We bring a live tree into the home and make our own decorations. Some out of clay. Some out of spices. On our tree we add corn stalk decorations too.  The image of the green man is either above the tree or facing it. The star atop our tree was made by E when she was LittleWitch (I can hardly say that now as she is about the same height as me). It is an eight pointed star painted gold and held onto the tree with red and gold ribbon and florists wire.
When E was little we would leave our treats for Father Yule (much like Father Christmas) and she would get gifts every morning for two weeks. Sometimes they would be little stocking fillers, sometimes bigger gifts.
Even dead broke (and there were quite a few times we were) we always feast. We would get gifted things, or even have what we wanted fall in our lap for a discount price. We also feed others. Often those without family, or those lost and struggling. Sometimes it is just those we would love to see.
When I was running coven's we would have a coven meal and/or ritual over the season too. With the Holly and the oak king fighting.There are some real comedy moments that spring to mind with that one!
Most of our gifts for people were handmade. In fact when we were suddenly flush one year and I was going to buy things for friends there was a revolt! "I want my hamper of Lucy's food" was the cry!
I love Yule for the reasons that I like Christmas.
I love the food, and I love the magickal quality sitting in a room of sparkly lights and candles. I love the smells, and the quiet as well as the laughter.
TK rules the kitchen at feast times. Even when I did 90% of the cooking he did the roasts.
This year was no different. It was actually really relaxing yesterday. Some friends dropped of gifts and we gave them there's. (I did attempt to get everyone up to watch the sunrise but I was super foggy from lack of meds and I got snuggled into submission).
We had a lovely late lunch of cheeses (well I had a bunch of cheeses), salad leaves, pickles and pork pie. Then we gamed for a while and E got an in game bunch of keys to upgrade her character (one you pay for).  We sat down to eat our family feast at about 7 pm. It was a pork joint roast stuffed with pork, sage and apple. We had roast potatoes, parsnips (my favourite) and carrots. Savoy cabbage with bacon, and a rather full gravy boat! It was lush! We all raised a cup (mine was very small and full of mead) and toasted, again and again. When we were done I gave what was left in my cup to my house spirits (including the Green Man).
 Today will be StarWars day (my treat).
Of course there is much pudding for me to eat today and my cake (a heavy boozy fruit cake) is almost half gone! Still we have enough left over (except roast potatoes and parsnips) to eat the same meal again, as well as sandwiches and salads. It will last us about four or five days.
Some of this year will be spent with me up a ladder painting E's room (her present proper).
There will be other feasts, more gifts and cheer. Yule is a celebration of magick, of light and hope. Of hearth and home and those who make us happy.
I would love to sit and do circle too over the season. Yet it is a time for restfulness.


Brightest of Blessings
Lucy Drake & Co

Don't forget to by my book The Key for recharged spiritual journey in the New Year, or as a gift, after all who doesn't want a little magick?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tradition your family has. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete