Saturday 16 August 2014

The Key

Magick, writing and teaching.

The Key Opening the Doorway to Magickal Practice was a labor of love documenting the early exercises, ideas and work that I work through with my over 20 students. While it is not like the personal tailored experience of working with me I believe it is a close second. Right now I am working a lot on my next book which is the follow on but also with the year and a day of work towards initiation.
I love books and and I am avid reader and there are plenty of books on paganism and witchcraft what could I possibly have to say that others have not?
Well firstly these books tend to focus either on spells or rituals or dogma (some all three). Very few show, encourage or describe the work you need to do to get to the place to use these ideas.
They make huge assumptions about the equipment, level of knowledge or abilities of the students. Don't get me started on Idiots Guides, context people, context! Those books are often just a mush of ideas, concepts and symbols.Over the years of dealing with real people I have learned that the place where most students have start from is a place of reading (thinking) but not doing. So generally the first thing I throw at them are not theories but exercises to get the energy, their energy moving. This has mixed results but is always a learning experience!
I have spent a lot of time this week working through assignments and exercises, enough for over 12 weeks of work so far in book 2. It is hard work but I still feel I can teach well. That what I say and can show students is of value because I have the experience of teaching real people.
So while dancing to Beastie Boys, cuddling the dog and catching up with my people on G+ I am still mulling over the next places to guide my book students. I can't wait!
Bright Blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment