Monday 4 August 2014

We are Pagan We are Proud

We are Pagan We are Proud

 

Most of Lucy Drake&Co attending the national PaganPride parade and event in Nottingham yesterday.

I met a ton of amazing new people. I met the UK openly pagan magistrate. I met Robin Hood (Tony, nice guy). I met funny grumpy hungover folks who had been to the Inkubus Suckubas gig in Leeds the night before. I saw folks I knew from MBS fairs, and folks who where also not LARPing! TK took the pictures, and therefor is not in any of them. Yet he and his Wookie backpack will be much remembered I imagine!


Stopped traffic!
I have never been in a parade before but it was great. From being in about 500 people shouting WE ARE PAGAN WE ARE PROUD gave me goose bumps. We waved at tourists, firemen, and some random dude who rushed out of bed to film us in his dressinggown. You could feel this odd connective energy to all these people and a sense of being part of something much larger than yourself.


Stalls+Shops
Everything was extremely well laid out and well organised. Even the ladies loos at the park, though the queue was massive, volunteers came in and cleaned and made sure there was enough loo rolls and so on. Some stalls had the usual stuff on but others had books and took cards! I didn't buy anything for myself except food and ice-cream. The food vans were a mixed bunch and the 2 best ones being both reasonably priced and quality food had huge lines. Other were charging a fortune for a bottle of pop.


Kid friendly
There was so much that was kid friendly, though Sassy didn't do loads, she was painted (purple dragon scales on her arms) and decorated (and ate) her own biscuit! I wish that there had been more for her age group (12-14) as the older kids had bands and music (none of which were to her taste) and toys that were aimed much younger. She said she would have liked a bellydance class for girls (and boys) of her age.


Hanging around
We hung around being organised by folks for an age! Luckily we were very close to the loos and had a great bunch of people near us to chat with and so on. Somewhere between an hour or so of just standing around was a bit rubbish but the guy shouting about SATAN was moved on by the police. We had the bright idea of going top Costa Coffee for tea and food before the parade as we were just a little early. Turns out this was genius.

All the Things
Like a kid in a sweet shop I was so overwhelmed I don't think I took full advantage of everything there because I couldn't decide what I wanted. There were written programs but I think for me they made it worse as I knew what I was missing! In the end I feel like I didn't hear the lectures I wanted to hear but I did have a great time anyway. I will know better for next time!


Too hot. Too Tired.
I am glad of the parasol I had, it was definitely needed and not for the show as although clouds looked threatening from time to time the weather was hot and sunny. I imagine for the normal folks it was pleasant and great. I am, however, a natural ginger and I struggled with the sun and heat. I certainly couldn't join in the bellydance classes in the full sun!  My kidneys were not happy with me and I couldn't have carried the amount of water that would have been right for me to drink. I am suffering somewhat today. Still I am sat with my feet up (swollen and rather sore) and already think about next year!                                                                                                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment