Friday 12 September 2014

Holy Stones

Holy Stones


I have been on my jolly hol's, my vacation, and as TK is pron to doing (especially at a pebble beach) he went in search of of "rock friends". TK has a knack, a skill, a gift when it comes to being around rock or pebbles, bending down and finding a gem, sometime literally. It is so magickally that even I find it breath taking to watch. Well we (this is the loose term for me sitting watching the water and TK and Mini-witch combing the pebbly shores) got quite a haul! From Jasper by the handful, dolomite's, and pieces of flint worn so thin you could almost see through them. Yet the biggest haul were holy stones. 

Adder stones, hag stones, witch stones, Glain Neidr, snake eggs or simply Holy stones are the common names for stones and pebbles that have a naturally occurring hole in them, often from water erosion. They have been used "to see" faeries and other unseen forces as well as heal and protect from negative and evil magicks. Worn by Druids as "badges" (according to Pliny). It is believed that the stones mentioned in The Mabinogion are these stones, one that Peredur uses to see and kill the invisible monster, and Owain is gifted a stone of invisibility by the Maiden. These stones are not only considered magickal by the Druids as some have been even found in Egyptian sites. While I can not personally attest to the invisibility, I can say that with rough 40 of these beauties in the house it is positively buzzing.They were put above doorways, hung on keys and sewn into pockets to protect people and animals from all harm.
The ones we are selling are lovely but I do like the ones we are keeping just for us. TK popped one on my bind rune and other than it keeps turning it's self around (yesterday my necklace was backwards so I swapped it around three times in a row) it feels really great. 





The pictures are not bad but it is hard to get the wonderful vibration they give off. The textural quality. It was no mean feat bringing all these rocks back on the train but it was worth it. It was so great to catch up with my teacher and his wonderful wife (and family). It does make me keen and pine to move to somewhere else again. Stoke is many things, a place of outstanding beauty is not one of them!
Pop to our shop if you fancy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment