Sunday 15 February 2015

Healing 3

Healing continued

Herbalism

Most children grow up with a connection to plants. From berries they shouldn't eat, or dock leaves to rub on nettle stings. Growing up in the wilds I certainly knew more about the natural world than my peers. I would run my hands over the plants in the wilderness of a "garden" we simply called The Front". They would speak to me, sometimes in little songs, sometimes simply in their perfumes. I knew what was edible and poisonous by sight, touch and smell. I was a wild little thing. All skinny arms and legs and big hair, up in trees, or in the tall grass. Weaving flowers into rings of unknown design.
At about when I was 16, maybe a little younger, my "mother" decided she wanted a "proper" garden and my step-brother built her one. It consisted on a brick pathed area with matching raised beds on each side and walls that were hollow for planting diving the garden from "The Front".

We began to grow herbs. Ones I had never heard of in my wild ramblings. "Mother" bought a book. We agreed to share it. I still have it. Since then I have grown, sown, potted and planted many herbs and plants and gathered herbal books as some gather porcelain pigs or cushions.
Herbal medicine is older than humans. Chimpanzees do it. Elephants do it. They gather and eat herbs to make them feel better. 
I know a lot of doctors and ordinary people poo poo herbalism as though it is silly. Yet poison ivy or nettles, cannabis or foxglove have real affects on the body. Why one plant is "too dangerous" and others are ridiculed is beyond me.
Aspirin, Valium, and even heart medication are based on compounds found in herbal medicine. Interestingly sometimes the impurities within a herbal compound seem to make it work more effectively than the pure extracted compound. 
Herbal medicine was and is a deeply skilled art and while I have researched and studied for years I am not a professional herbalist (though I have thought about becoming so a few times).
I have a deep affection and profound respect for this craft and it's ability to heal. The chemical compounds found within plants and herbs are potent and can be dangerous when mishandled. Yet anyone can grow a lavender plant. Or an aloe. 
Whether used as teas to relax the body so it can heal it's self, or decotions, lotions, lozenges, syrups or tinctures for a stronger or deeper level of healing it is amazing what simple and common herbs can do to the whole person. 
I have two rules about herbal craft when I teach.

1) Research. Know your plants, wild and cultivated. Learn the Latin. 
2)Do not give to someone else something you have no direct experience of using.

For more healing blogs read here or here.
If you want to see the things I make with herbs and my craft come visit here.

Bright Blessings xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment