Friday 20 February 2015

The Great Mother

The Great Mother


“She had a soft and soothing voice and her presence was as reassuring as a mother’s embrace. The fact that God is a Holy Mother instead of a Holy Father doesn’t disturb me, she is everything I hoped she would be and even more!" Father John Micheal O’neal 

When I "connect with source" during meditation, prayer or even dance, I feel an overwhelmingly female presence. A rush of emotions sings through me as though I being hugged by someone who loves and has missed me. 

For me this was difficult when I first felt this awareness, presence around and inside in. This love, this unconditional caring, was so new, so alien to me that as much as I wanted it, I couldn't trust it. This echoed with my relationship with other women and of course myself. Yet little by little I connected, reached out my heart and mind to Her.
I could always find her. I simply had to look. To reach out.
My rational (and irrational mind) wanted to know she didn't just "fix everything". Yet as a mother myself I could see that most of the mess was my making, and that much like watching your child get sick with chickenpox, you tend them carefully, say soothing words, but know they have to go through it. That it is better that it happens at this point or that point, that while there may well be scars but they make you no less beautiful or perfect. 

She isn't there to "do" everything. She is there to love and support you while you "do" everything. While all the faces, and names of Goddess and Mother are individual and distinct, there is always this energy in their robes. 

I think of these "Earthy Goddesses" like saints or Ascended Mothers. Human and divine, of the earth, and the land, steeped in human female reality, of body, blood and spirit. Fierce in battle, in birthing,  in washing and tending the dead. 

I do not claim some Universal truth or have a monopoly on Goddess, wisdom or love. I just know that underneath everything, beyond even spirit is this love, awareness, awakeness, I call Mother. I call Goddess. 

Bright Blessings xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment