Tuesday 20 May 2014

Open-heartedness

Bravery

So my new book, my poetry book is now on Amazon and I don't feel the same elation as my pagan teaching book. I feel kind of nauseous that my pain and joys are open to the viewing public. Yet we must talk about it. So many families lose children and babies, from miscarriage, difficulties during birth and of course, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Yet we are told "babies don't just die", there is a culture of shame, guilt and blame. We are told to "try again", as though one child can replace another. Most of all we are to be silent. Don't mention it. Don't talk about. Pretend they never were, compounding our pain. 
So while it makes me feel vulnerable and uncomfortable to share these poems I know I must. I know I must speak. I know that silence can kill.
I called it Litanies of Grief and Inspiration because with death is also hope. Life does continue and you allow to be happy.
My step-brother recently took his own life, I do not doubt the loss of his nine year old son to a drunk driver had a hand in this. He was, as many of us are, offered no help, no support, no space to feel. If my words can help a family not have to live through not one tragedy but to then it is worthy.


2 comments:

  1. The more we talk about the pain the less it seems to cut into us. By you sharing your joys and sorrows with the world, you have opened countless doors for many others. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete