Monday 7 July 2014

Rolf Harris jail time

Rolf Harris's jail time


5 years 9 months. When I first heard the jail time for Rolf Harris, I imagined it was for each victim, but no.
Of course the actual amount of time he spends in jail might be as little as half of this. It is a cruel sick joke. In 2 or 3 years he gets to be out of his prison, while his victims will be lucky if they ever leave. Their sentence will most likely be a lifetime. What was the point? 12 counts, not one or 3 (which would have been enough for me to think of at least 10 to 15 years) but 12. That isn't even a year a victim! You can get more time for carry magic mushrooms that assaulting women and children! (seven years imprisonment for a class A drug).
It makes me angry, sad and confused. I don't understand how this behaviour is taken so lightly!

For many years my husband wanted me to come forward about the abuse I suffered as a child to the police and every time I told him no.

I told him no because I did not want to be put on trail.

I told him no because be treated as a liar and whore at 7 years was enough.

I told him no because even if they were convicted, even if I won, the sentences they would get would be a joke.

What message does this sentence show other victims of abuse? What does it say to abusers.

It doesn't matter what you do, the system is on your side.
Everything is forgivable if you are white and male.


How do we make it better? How do we heal?
For me it is this.
We look to what is sacred and holy and pure within us and we cherish it in ourselves and others. We keep going and we let it go a little at a time. We listen and watch other carefully. Allow space to talk about our experiences and listen to each other. We learn to trust ourselves. Allow what needs to bleed, to bleed. What needs to heal, heal and don't pick it too often.


Surrender Prayer
Goddess I surrender my pain to you.
I let it go.
Show me it's wisdom.
Teach me it's lessons.
Goddess I surrender my sorrow to you.
I let it go.
Show me it's wisdom
Teach me it's lessons.
Goddess I surrender my fear to you.
Show me it's wisdom.
I let it go.
As all the pain, sorrow and fear
Leave my mind, body, and spirit
Fill me with your love.
























































1 comment:

  1. Fascinating story. My wife is going through something similar to what you are. Instead of focusing on the negative, I think about how we can heal ourselves and other people in the process. Feelings on the criminal justice nonwithstanding forgiveness is at each and every one of our core, I believe. Hard to get there sometimes.

    ReplyDelete