Sunday 22 September 2013

MERRY MABON
Well it was merry. It was in fact so much fun. It was great for us as a family to celebrate and have a good time together. Yesterday the weather shifted and the sun came out. We went for a walk and picked some leaves and acorns and a few wild apples too. We also found a small but beautiful glut of blackberries. I didn't know what we were going to do with them but I thought I'd figure something out. We ended up having a small picnic in the sunshine which was surprisingly warm (especially as I wore a long sleeved black jumper). When we got back home I saw the half punnet of blackberries and thought about what I could do with them. In the end I washed them and put them in a jar with a lot of bourbon and  spoonful of sugar. Even after one shake we had the most amazing drink. I tried to have a nap, so I would be fresh for ritual but I couldn't settle I was too excited.
So TK and little witch helped me clear the room and the altar and ferry athames and BoS from upstairs to downstairs. We also blended and ground our incense all together, not too fine and began to cleanse the room. The only tough part was that the room was warm and I really wanted a window open but the awesomely sucky neighbours made it impossible. So our altar decorated with acorns and apples (cut horizontally) our cup filled with booze and blackberry juice (it look like blood) the scone I made early as the offer and stew on the hob, we got started. Now I know it is usual for the girls to do most of the heavy lifting in ritual, but I want TK to be able to cast a circle really well (unlike some men) and that only comes with practice. He was a bit unsure and found it difficult at the start but really to into the swing of it. We all helped called and thanked the quarters. Then we started the spiral dancing which was a lot of fun. I think gave a prayer and then so did TK, it was really good. Then there was more dancing. This wasn't serious or stuffy it was just a family dancing aroud being silly. It felt so good. After the dance was done came the cup and blade. Then kisses and blessing of the offerings. Now we brought the feast into the circle and sat eating stew and home-made bread. We were hungry and it was a lot of fun. Then the songs started. It took me a little bit to get them singing but I managed it. The Cutty Wren and Charlie Mops helped.
 The I sang to release and thank the quarters and thank the Old Ones for their gifts and released the circle. The little witch went to bed (the mouthful or so of booze had made her giggly and sleepy).
We put on the lights and began to tidy things away. In all honesty the main tools went but the candles and apples were still there this morning.
It was a lovely evening. It was fun and happy and my student R contacted me about her own apple adventures that day, worrying it wasn't "proper" enough. I told her that if it was fun it was as proper as it needed to be. It your paganism isn't fun then what is the point?

1 comment: