Saturday 21 September 2013

So ADVENTURES IN PAGAN BAKING!
This morning (Merry Mabon and so on and so on) I decide to bake. I knew I was going to be making bread today (by hand thank you) and I had some left over bacon cabbage and mashed potato from last night. I already had the strong flour out so I got the cold butter from my fridge and made it into crumbs It took a while but I love the feeling of the four soft between my fingers. TK then added the potato (as I was floury) and I continued with the crumbing action. Then I chose a brown speckled free range organic rare breed egg (rather than the blue) and broke it inot the well I made with my butter knife. I got my fingers straight in and then kneaded the mix lightly. I transfered to my floured kitchen table and made a pretty round. I transfered to a butter baking sheet and then sprinckled with a few poppy seeds. Enters TK. He suggest more bacon so a pick a few lardons on top and let the oven heat up.
It only took about 20 minutes for it to bake. Me and mine ate 6 of the 8 slices as I am leaving two for ritual later. So I had everything out so I made my starter dough for my bread. I got flour, oatbran, sugar and warm water. I mixed in my yeast and left it covered in a tea towl near the radiator.
After eating the scone for brunch I started with my bread. I got some room tempreature butter and some flour in a bowl and a mixed it with my hands until the buter was just fine crumbs. I add more flour until I had enough for my bread. Then the cool bit. In the bowl was this yeasty, bubbley soup that smelt fantastic. I got my hand straight in and mixed it carefully. It was silky and warm.  I then added a bit at a time the four and butter mix until I had a dough.
I worked my dough firmly but not roughly breathing deeply, almost like tai chi for about 15 minutes. I then let it rest in the bowl covered by the tea towel.
I then let the bread rise for about 45 minutes. I carefully scooped it from the bowl and kneaded it gently before making it into two sauage shape that a curled around each other and placed on a greased baking train. It is still profing right now. I also have a mini loaf, the way I always try to for my house fey, my brownie, Mr Brown (no not his real name but he doesn't mind it). He will have his loaf in his little hiden shrine and maybe even some bourbon if it comes out well. He is usually pretty cool. Not to be insulted or messed with, so he is part of the family. Always fun when muggles hear him in the cupboards or sometimes see him. 
Anyway I will get back to you all soon.
Sorry about the spelling no spell checker on this computer as I am upstairs today!


No comments:

Post a Comment