Thursday 21 May 2015

A little Knowledge

A Little Knowledge

is a dangerous thing.



Well done internet. Let me give you the slow clap today. Now for the most part the tweenage "experts" on my hard studied Craft are in the Facebook groups I don't use rather than on g+ or grown-up+ as I call it.
Until now (add dramatic echo). In a few decent communities I have been added to I have run foul of..."badly bearded boy".  An expert and general know-it-all who can't keep hair on his top lip. He uses (of course) a Goddess image as his avatar* (a different rant Lucy pick and choose*). Quite naturally he tells people he is a teacher of Craft (eye twitch) and an expert on magick (I don't even).
Now my darling Witchling is still but a babe, all be it she is nearly as tall as I am now. Always wise beyond her years and keen of deep understanding I could see IF she want to give out advice or knowledge (she doesn't seem that keen right now) I imagine it would be sound and come from practice and her book learning.
I was myself after all once a "teen-witch". So the age thing is really my problem. 
My problem is that someone after maybe reading some books (most likely not) and having read some generic bits and pieces now feels they have the right and expertise to state opinion as fact.
Now I am well aware I need to hold my tongue in retrograde, especially as the dark moon and all Her gifts is so close, but I must confess, no beg...please stop.
You have no idea how magick works. No idea the damage you will cause repeating common mistakes at best or making it up at worst.
I have been a full time witch for 18 years. Day in. Day out. I study constantly. Read prolifically, and I know, I really know I don't know everything. I know a lot about a lot of different things. I also do know experts in many fields, some of which I have been luck enough to study with.
From Welsh Mythology to micro mycology, from healing with crystals to Hellenistic music. 
All of that is debased by some greasy adolescent declaring absolute truth and it makes me feel a little ill.   
Granted I am taking personally being mansplained by a child but that could be the Dark Moon talking.
I don't mind a clever articulate debate on practices, ideas, or concepts. I don't think I know everything, in fact I know I don't. I know a lot. I am also a hard working and dedicated teacher of my Craft. My worth is not diminished by someone passing off movies and google searches as knowledge but it is dangerous. Not to me. Or to Witchling. For folks who think this person IS an expert. For someone essentially faking what I am, what I have worked my whole life to be.
Opening doorways in the world, in the Veil and in themselves they might not be ready for, might bring unwanted or unpleasant things through, and certainly can not close.
This can do real damage to the person, as well as the Craft as a whole. What we do isn't scary or dark but if you go and poke a hornets nest you will get stung. If you swim in waters with crocodiles you could eat eaten.
Do not wander in the dark, dark woods, it is beautiful, powerful and full of wisdom, but if you get lost, or hurt you need someone who knows what they are doing with you.

Bright Blessings


No comments:

Post a Comment