Friday 22 November 2013

Herbs

Herbs


I have a huge knowledge of herbs. I started rather young and had this gift with anything green. Partially I think this comes down to the fact that living in the middle of the ass end of nowhere (medical treatment was a trek). Also green things spoke to me. I could run my hand over things and "know" what to use them for. Of course my logical brain wanted to quantify and qualify this "knowing" with facts. I learned much from being around folk who could tell you what was what, and a small book of wild flowers that was as pretty as it was ancient. Then from medicinal books. I now seem to collect herbal tomes.
I think that what you need is generally around you. It is an odd thing to say and while I know a little bit about plants from far off climbs, I still think that what you need tends to be what grow where you are. If I suddenly moved somewhere tropical I would walk around looking up the interesting plants around me. I live in an urban space (it bugs me sometimes but hopefully not for too much longer) but there are always plants around. Always. Some are in better health than others but they are there. I gather always with the knowledge that these plants are fragile and take a little from each plant. I dry and preserve as much as I can.


 Of course I have two tiny gardens that delight in being as wild and untamed as possible. I have and do try but with my bad back I tend to let other people do the grunt work when I can (I torn a muscle in my back next to my spine). Yet everything from bramble leaves to St Johnswort can be pick and used magicakly and for healing.
Some of my friends that I exposed to tinctures and balms are no looking to become herbalists. Something I did consider for myself for a while.
While I do enjoy exotic oils and resins and adore spices especially cinnamon I can spot chickweed in a field chew it up and apply it to a nasty insect bite and it be almost gone in a couple of hours.
I truly think that you are given what you need, where ever you might be. No matter how harsh the environment, the flora there will be best for your magick and healing. In damp places were you are more likely to get joint pains and coughs that is where the plants grow that help with coughs and joint pain. Nature finds a way. Always. 

1 comment:

  1. Good reading this morning Lucy. I agree, Nature always finds a way.

    ReplyDelete