Thursday 21 November 2013

Power.

Power.

Okay so I have had a hard day in a rather tough week but rather than go and have a nap, I thought I would talk to about this often misunderstood idea.
Power in terms of magick is the petrol in the engine of your ritual and spell work. This is the sticking point for many who do not understand it's subtle ebb and flow, or have the mind and will to focus it.
It can have many and varied sources (the wards in my home are based on spirit power and that of the plants that grow in my living room). Tapping and weaving these powers into the charm, ward, spell or ritual give it extra juice.
One of the reasons working within a circle is important is that is does contain the energy you raise within it until you say it is to be released. Charging the space with music, silence (never underestimate the power of silence) dance, spirits, and Deities adds to it too. Most of the time it is not the will or the spell that is not working but the fact that the energy isn't there.
Emotion does often play a huge role in the kind of energy in the circle. This is why healing can be harmful if there is even the hint of negative connection to the person being healed. It is also why witches need to deal with their own emotional crap frequently to make sure their own baggage isn't messing with the work they want to do. No, if you are angry and hurting at this person you can not heal them, but you can bind or banish, you can curse or hex. This not to say you must hex in anger or that it a bad thing. ( Sending someone something bad until they learn their lesson, gets a bad rep, but it works!)
This is why the Eight fae Paths works. It is about translating ritual work into a battery to fuel the work you want to do. It is about weaving many strands together to make simple things complex and complex things work simply.
The funny thing is that taking power from others or from other places does work but it is not the same as opening up yourself and accepting your own power. When you take power and or attention from others you distance yourself from The Veil, from the connection to all things and places. When you really connect with yourself you have the power of all things and all places. This requires hard work and discipline. Yet it is a joyful experience.
You have to surrender to your own power and let it flow.
 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have a question regarding my circle. My home is very small and I am not sure I have the room for a circle. Perhaps in the living room I might have adequate space but my bedroom is hardly big enough to turn around in yet that is where I would like to have my circle.
    Also I have a long dresser with a tall mirror. Will it be acceptable to have my alter there? I wish that I could be more clear on describing my home to you. I know that space is very important.
    I live in an apartment complex in the middle of a fairly large town. I have no balcony for plants and herbs so I have to use what I have. My apartment building is also accessible for the handicapped for which is why I live here. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest that you work in your living room. That is not to say you can not have the dresser as an altar in your bedroom where you keep your things until you need them. My home is a tiny too!
    I tend to keep lots of my ritual stuff in draws and so on until I need it anyway. I do have gardens but with being in a car crash this summer it is more like a jungle! My growing this year has been all on window sills.
    Your circle need not be more than 9feet around if it is just you. If you are lucky there may be a space in a park in the town you could use. If you have a moot or pagan met up in the town you might have access to a space you can use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also live in a tiny space. I bought a round table cloth and sewed onto it a red, yellow, green and blue triangle. I keep it folded in a wooden chest with my alter supplies. I decorated the top of the box with wood burn designs

    ReplyDelete