Tuesday 14 October 2014

How I make incense

How I make incense

I have a dyslexic and synthetic mind. Colour have sensations, tastes and smells and visa versa. I also have a very sensitive sense of smell, especially when I am hormonal (during pregnancy was a sick to the stomach by the most ordinary smell becoming over powering).



1) The beginning
So when I start to blend an incense I either start with a colour or energy I want it to have, or a base scent. What is it's purpose, it's energy goal? Once that is decided I move on.


2)Research
While I have been working with herbs and plants to make potions and perfumes all my life I like to balance my knowing with my knowing. I was about 6 or 7 when I ruined my mother's wooden pestle and mortar making "perfumes" in the garden. Man I got in deep trouble for that one. So I will start with a herb or scent (lemony, please says my brain). Then I research, I add other things that have the same lemonine or citrus scent to my list (things like balm, lemon verbena, may chang, petigrain, as well as citrus it's self.) Go through some of my 15 different herbal books (there may be more I stopped counting at 15) and make a huge list of what works with what. What does what I want it to do and how they react with each other in a big spider diagram in my notebook. A blend might take a few hours. It might take a few days or even a week to research properly. 


3) Making.
This a a creative process to me and I get out my herbs and oils (I have a Welsh dresser full of jars of all sizes, and when I am getting really serious, I get TK to get my massive grey box down too. I have hundreds of herbs and spices, resins and woods. I gather and dry a lot of my own and have friends with green thumbs give me giant bunches too! Then I sit on the floor with the cauldron between my knees and begin.




4) Testing.
If I am making a big batch or one I haven't made before I have my old brass censor burning on the table. This means I can add an ingredient. mix and add a pinch and see if it has the right smell or energy or both. 

5) Making still
I will shave wood and bark, crush leaves and mix the blend with my hands making sure the mix is not too big or small. If I am crushing berries (like juniper) they go in my marble pestle first then into my hand grinder. I refer back to my notes a lot and write down everything I add, If I start out with one teaspoon of something , then add another, or another they all get added to the list.
After I have almost added all I need I put the mix in a sealed jar. 


6) Take a break
I open the windows. Have a walk, a stretch. Make some tea. Clear my nose and the space.

At this point I may repeat the whole process if I am not happy with where an incense is in terms of energy or scent, or simply keep working and re-working it. It has to be right!

7) Adding the oils.
This is when I add my essential oils. Sometimes I add them to a medium and mix them through or just straight into the jar and give it a good shake.



8) Final Test
A little in my burner and then mini-witch and maybe TK (maybe not) get to try it and see if it seems "right". If it passes muster then it moves onto the next stage.

9) Amalgamate.
At this point I might add some crystals either to the jar or to the altar it is sitting on. 

10) Packaging
I measure out the right amount for one of my jars. Fill it and label it. Place it in it's organza bag and ask TK to pack it for postal!


And THAT is how I do it!
Bright Blessings xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment