Wednesday 8 October 2014

Walking Barefoot

Walking Barefoot


I am sure glad me and mini-witch didn't waste the last warm sunny day. This time last week we set out together. Had lunch, just us and even though it had drizzled some it was still warm. We decided to go for it anyway and do the barefoot walk. Some parts of it were gross (the cold shishy mud with bugs all over the water) but in general there was something precious knowing that this would be the last time in months I would walk any distance outside barefoot. Even the cold water was pleasureful. After we were done and we seemed to inspire some other's there to try it, we washed our feet and put on our socks and boots. How cosy and comforting they seemed. 
There was of course a flask of hot tea for us to enjoy. We breathed in the perfume of the late and vintage roses. Marveled at the textures of the planting.
Now there is "proper" rain, frost and thick fogs as well as wind that whips everything into spirals. I have the feeling it will be a very cold winter.
Yesterday we all (me,TK, and mini-witch) went and made faggots, sometimes called brushwood bundles from wood folks had cut down on the brown land. We didn't need many for tonight's ritual. 
For me I think my family are like socks. Sometimes it is gloriously free without them, even if it doesn't make it enjoyable. Yet when I get to go back to them it is warm and comforting, supportive and unassuming. 
I never understood people who thought their kids were in the way of their life. Or didn't enjoy talking and listening to them. Mini-witch has always been fascinating and funny. I enjoy her company. I didn't walk in my boots as she played around the barefoot walk, I got stuck in with her. Like if there is an option for face painting, then I get mine done too! I don't know why you wouldn't want to. I don't understand people who sit and watch (or don't) their kid rather than talking, playing, making stuff together. Maybe it is because I find these things enjoyable. Maybe it is because I care much more what my daughter thinks than anyone else. She might not remember it all. Yet I feel sure that some of it will stick. Whether it is magicking incense, or bread, dancing in the living room, or just cuddling watching documentaries or films. If she is passionate about something, I take the time to explore that with her, even if I don't always get it. She "discovered" The Lord of the Rings this week. I didn't ask her to, she just finished the Hobbit and searched the book shelves and disappeared with it. After reading about half of the first "book" she then watched the Peter Jackson first LTOR film as a compare and contrast. 
She has never been dull or boring. Sure she can be a pain, but mostly from NOT doing rather than doing. She is a bibliophile too, which makes me proud but I remember having to confiscate books at night so she would sleep, even when she was really little!
When she turns those deep dark knowing eyes on me and teaches me something wise, I respond with "Yes little Goddess."
I am so privileged and in awe of her. I always have been. Now when we sit down to dinner and she can tell me things I didn't know about beetles, snakes or maths, or Starwars or Batman or the world at large. We sit and talk about it.

Bright blessings. Enjoy the moon I know we will!


No comments:

Post a Comment