Wednesday 29 April 2015

Spiritual Lessons from the Kitchen

Spiritual Lessons from the Kitchen

L'Arte di Arrangiarsi

I don't own many cook books and the ones I do have tend to be old, second or third hand and be full of recipes from when everyone knew how to do basic cooking.
I make exceptions of course. I bought Two Greedy Italians eat Italy. One of the few food programs I watch. I loved watching these two old men pull the car over and basically scrump the fruit from the tree hanging over the fence. 
I don't think of my self as a "kitchen witch". This doesn't mean it is not my domain, my temple or my place to worship the creative art of cooking. I just find a lot of "kitchen witchin" bland, and overly simple. (Not that simple can't be amazing in it's self.)
The lessons that cooking teaches as layered and deep. They are in the skill of my finger and thumb to judge the right feel. The taste against my teeth, or how something changes in colour, of consistency.
I have learned that everyone's measure is different. That like a painting a dish is full of layers that sit like colours. Bright sharp yellow citrus lifts and high-light deep earthy or meaty flavours, and a touch of dark or bitter gives depth to something light. 
Time, care and love are the most important ingredients, and the right seasoning brings ideas together into a meal, or better yet, a feast.
Know what you are eating. Enjoy it. Yet always try new things. 
I opened my cook this evening and it fell open to the L'Arte di Arrangiarsi, which has no direct English translation. The why I understand it is the art of making the best of it through will power and creativity. 
What a lesson!
You only have X? Make the best of it, with love, time and creativity. 
Left over's or meals I make with left overs, like potato and bacon scones, or white chili from left over roast chicken, or colcannon with left over mashed potatoes and dark green cabbage. are our favorite meals.    
Knowing your herbs (and spices) magickal, medical and culinary uses makes sacred baking a real thing! Marigold petals in your cakes and bitter herbs like valarian in the chocolate cake (knowing the dose is everything)!

I am on vacation, holiday, my jolly hols, to Hasting for the Green man parade from tomorrow. I wonder what new food lessons and adventures wait!

I have an excellent book called The Key Opening the Doorway to Magickal Practice and a lovely shop called Lucy Drake & Co. 

Bright Blessings xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment