Monday 14 October 2013

The Horned God

The Horned God


The gentle stag. 
The wisdom of the wood. 
The chase. 
When He is near me those with the sight see a tall ruddy stag just following me around. During my pregnancies he was there. I would dream of a forest of tall beautiful, majestic trees, and a deep dark river flowing through it. I was lying on the soft mossy ground my my head against his body. Our breathing was as one. As I raised my head to look at him he opened his eyes. I placed my face against him again and went into a deep, peaceful sleep. I know their is such furry within him but he is always, always gentle with me. Sometimes I see an old man in the distance of the trees. Often he is pointing the way, dressed in smoky blue, moving in and out of the dappled light. I can not explain this connection, a look that sometimes creatures give me, especially dogs, horses and actual stags, they seem to sometimes...nod at me, just a little "hey"  and then it is gone.
I always loved animals more than people. They do not lie (they steal, sulk, mope and get jealous) but their's is a authenticity that I love. The noise of a distressed animal seems to rip right through me. For years this meant I found eating meat difficult, impossible or weird. Yet he is a the dog and wolf as well as the rabbit and deer. He is the boar. He is unapologetic of his nature, and I feel better when I eat meat. While I try to eat as vegi as often as I can and honour the meat I put into my body as sacrament I always do my best to be respectful that my food IS sacred. It becomes my body, my flesh and bones and blood. Always with me. There is something beautiful in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment