Thursday 12 March 2015

Goodbye my Friend I Never Knew You

Goodbye my Friend I Never Knew You


Of all the writers I have read, pagan and otherwise, it would be fair to say none of them had the impact this man had. Maybe because I found my path "proper"picking up a book by Stewart Farrar the same time (and on opposite book shelves) at my library (Equal Rites was my first).
I have more of this author than any other, only my herbal book collection competes.
Some years ago I started to try and collect all the books (the rules were charity shop only) and then you went and starting writing books mini-witch would enjoy (The Wee Free Men Tiffany Aching series being on of your very best).
While I adored your witches, of course, I did not only follow their stories. I was moved by Death and Susan as profoundly as I was Sam Vimes. The person you reminded me of the most.
The Monstrous Regiment was a "side book" and yet was one of the best books ever written about the pointlessness of war and how deeply it affects everyone. It was feminist and silly. Too rare a treat.
I loved how textured this Disc-World was. I know the smell of the Ankh. The feeling of the black petals against my hand in Deaths garden. I even must have a touch of wizard in me (I suffer from auto-condimentia something chronic).
As Moist and Arabella I found new characters to love in a city I knew but had never been to.
You shared my belief in the power of words and the emotion behind them.
I have been called a Weatherwax witch more than once and while still in my twenties I was impressed! I would have liked to have been a bit more Ogg. Yet I agree that I hard, practical, stronger than steel and more frightened of myself than anything else (even Death).
I think that is what your witches taught me about witchin' was that is not about how many sigils you wear, which Gods or Goddess are watching, it is about helping mostly ungrateful people because it needs to be done. I am Ogg-like in my desire to have fun (I have been know to sing and dance on tables) and took my babies everywhere while witchin' with the best like Magrat. 
I come from a long like of women like Weatherwax (Esme), some good, some...not so good. My Black Alice is spelled Alys but she was a wrong 'un and no mistake.
I am a better witch, a better woman and mother for your books. 

“...Granny Weatherwax, who had walked nightly without fear in the bandit-haunted forests of the mountains all her life in the certain knowledge that the darkness held nothing more terrible than she was...”
"All witches are very conscious of stories. They can feel stories, in the same way that a bather in a little pool can feel the unexpected trout. Knowing how stories work is almost all the battle. For example, when an obvious innocent sits down with three experienced card sharpers and says 'How do you play this game, then?', someone is about to be shaken down until their teeth fall out."

"Nanny Ogg quite liked cooking, provided there were other people around to do things like chop up the vegetables and wash the dishes afterwards."

So tonight as you cross the desert of black sand that makes no sound. Know you lived well. Made the world better and were loved and admired by those who never knew you, accept as Death, as the wizard, as the con man, as the simple law man made good, or a the governess with a poker. 

Bright Blessings xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment