Tuesday 3 March 2015

The Scribbler

The Scribbler.


Ink on my fingers


I have been a scribbler all my life. Note books and journals (though bad at a plain "Dear diary") and winning awards from my poems at 11 years old. My English teacher at high school actually stole my poetry file, which I submitted as course work. I did an adult script writing course at the big theater too. At college I studied writing and was more consistent about keeping a notebook with me and writing everything down. I still have those poems and fragments of thoughts. University felt like (and was) a giant leap backwards in writing but it made me discover that I could paint too.It shook my belief in my own voice. 
Then I became a wife and a Mum and I wrote again. I would teaching Craft (and learning) all this time too. My notebooks became full of charms and spells, poems, ideas, drawings of what I had seen and experienced. Then lesson plans and complex interweaving of lessons, meditations and so on. 
I started writing about me, my life and my magick as a cathartic experience. It was very healing. Some how after after a week in Scotland alone in a cold holiday let with a notebook and pen I cleared my channel and started writing "proper" again. 
I started writing my first book The Key after I found I was teaching long distance and having to send huge long emails explaining things. This became, eventually, The Key. After writing it I set about getting it published and in the end self published on Amazon to get the damn thing out (publishing is like labour, only more painful). Almost as soon as it was out I could see ways to make it better. I swiftly then published my next book, one of poetry call Litanies of Grief and Inspiration. 
I started work on my next book and the one after that! As I was writing the next book I got to a section and was like "this should totally be in The Key...) so over 9,000 words in I left it my embryonic book and have spent the last 6 months re-working, reformatting, painting, drawing and waiting on art work from an artist who let me down, and a friend who never does. Birthing was difficult, (publishing, phew NOT fun) but yesterday The Key (second edition) popped into the world on Amazon. I am yet to even hold it myself yet. Smell it's pages. It feels such a relief.  Now I can go back the the current book/s (pagan baking? Do I really know enough about bread?) 

Bright Blessings xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment